Fast and Friendly Enchilada Recipe
Makes 8 yummy enchiladas
Perfect make ahead meal, or fast hearty, pantry friendly dinner for those days you have nothing planned. These enchiladas are delicious and so quick! The potato and beans add a creamy texture while the corn adds a pop of crispness and sweetness. Just delicious!
I have made these for many, many people, veggie lovers and non veggie lovers and they all love them. “Wow! Potatoes in enchiladas? It’s great!” I hear this a lot.
Tip: Meal Prep your potatoes before and have in the frig. I usually prep lots of potatoes on the weekend and keep in the frig to use for the week ahead.
Enchilada Filling Ingredients
- 1 Can Pinto Beans, drained
- 3-4 Medium Potatoes diced to 1/3″ pieces (Meal Prepped in frig. or microwave while you prep other ingredients)
- 1 Can Del Monte Mexican Style Corn (drained)
- 1 Can Tomatoes With Green Chiles (Rotel etc.)
- 1 Small Can of Green Chiles
- 1 cup of chunky salsa (not runny!)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- optional: 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika for a smoky taste
Making The Filling
Mix all of your fillings together. Taste!
Add a bit of the enchilada sauce to desired taste and consistency. I usually add a couple tablespoons.
Preparing Your Dish
Prepare a 9×11 casserole dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom.
Assembling The Enchiladas
- Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas (Low fat) I use the medium size and make 8 enchiladas.
- 15 oz. can of Red Enchilada Sauce (Choose heat level)
Add about 1/3 a cup of Enchilada filling to make a line down the middle of each flour tortilla.
Roll the tortilla. Take the side closest to you and roll it over the filling then use your fingers to push the tortilla back to make a nice snug enchilada full of delicious filling. Roll the rest of the way. (See video for more details).
Place the assembled enchilada seam side down, at one end, into the sauced pan.
Repeat for the remaining 7 or so Enchiladas. Don’t be afraid to squish them together if it is a small pan or a tight fit.
Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas making sure each enchilada is covered with a layer of sauce.
Cooking The Enchiladas
Bake at 350f for 30 to 40 minutes until the sides are bubbly and the top looks somewhat dry.
Take them out of the oven, garnish and serve with some homemade tortilla chips and a big green leafy salad!
Garnish with any one or all of these!
- Lime Cashew Crema! MY FAVORITE! (see my blog for the simple recipe)
- Fresh Cilantro
- Peppers of choice (jalapeno, green pepper, sweet pepper, poblano’s)
Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is:
- Alpha-Gal Friendly
- Low Fat (no fat added!)
- Can be low sodium if you choose low sodium beans etc.
- High in Good Carbs and Fiber (Complex Carbs)
- High in Protein
- McDougall Friendly
- Whole Foods Plant Based
If you have been recently diagnosed with Alpha-Gal or have been working with the Alpha-Gal diagnosis for quite some time, you might have found finding new, fun and delicious family favorite recipes to be a challenge. I’m working to change this, to help us find joy with food, family and friends, one recipe at a time!
Mindfully Aware Health 2023 – YouTube Mindfully Lisa and Instagram